[Course Assignment] Academic & Business Writing - Week 1

My Type of Writing



Academic & Business Writing Course
Week 1 Assignment
(click image to view)
To be honest, I'm having a slight difficulty in determining what kind of writing I typically do, since I don't do writing on a daily basis recently. However, there were times that I did. When I was in senior high school, I was in Language Class where writing was practiced almost everyday. I could write various types of writing - in local or foreign language, depending on what I was assigned to write. I wrote short stories, poems, movie reviews, news script, critical review on particular issue, and so on.

Going to college, I wrote several short essays in economics and some slide presentations. I also wrote summary of each chapter that I read in certain courses, when assigned. In the final year of my study, I was subject to write an English journal referring to my thesis, to be published as international journal.

A year later, I worked in a government office, as a staff in Sub-Division of Administration of the Head of Office Representation. My job was to handle the Head's correspondence to other Office Representation, Head Office, or other entities. This job required me to use business writing type in most of the time. So I can say that I have experienced writing in both academic and business type, although I don't use both type recently as I'm a stay at home mom with no special concerns to write about. But I'm starting my blog now, so I've decided that I'll write more from now on. I will just write for fun about anything, but mostly I'll write about my thoughts and experiences as a woman, a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend, a citizen, and so on you name it 😁.

Writing for me used to be a fun activity. I loved writing poems, short stories, mini novel and dialogue script for school drama. When my mind was full, writing a poem could ease the burden, and leave my brain more space to think more wisely. As a young girl, I often had such figure that I imagined I should had been, or things I should had done, or events that should had happened to me, but all of those had not. But when writing, I could make all of those come true. I wrote short stories or even mini novel with myself starring in it. My writings spoke what was unspoken, whether because I didn't have the courage to speak it up or because I just didn't know where to start. I think by writing, I knew myself better. It mapped my mind when I was trying to regulate all the piled-up ideas in my head.

Well at least that was long ago! I have to admit that for now, pouring ideas in to writing is not as easy as it was when I was younger. I haven't been writing like forever! I knew I had it forgotten when I was trying to write an essay for a scholarship requirement a couple months ago. You know what? Nothing came out! I was just.. STUCK. I finished the essay just a few minutes before the deadline because I had a hard time trying to figure anything out to write. I sure miss the times when writing was like my passion, my easy way out. Writing to this sentence right here with my baby playing beside me, I think I will find my pleasure in writing back again. Either in English or in Bahasa. I really do hope so.

I used to dream about having my novel published but I just never did it. You might think that I didn't have the gut but in fact I just never finished it 😁. While enjoying my precious time of motherhood, I admit that I have a desire to study again. I hope when the time has come, I could get a scholarship to continue studying to postgraduate program. I can't wait to practice the academic writing skill that I have been practicing these couple weeks through this course.

I have a dream of having my own business too, but I guess the business writing won't be the urgent need, just yet. Well I'm sure going to start it from scratch so I'll be busy building it up that I won't have anything to do with business writing. In the mean time - while waiting for that time to come, I'll just write for fun, getting myself used to write again. I'll read more, learn more, and practice writing more. In blogs, journals, or even in captions 😆! Writing a good caption can be a good start, don't you think?

Komentar

Postingan Populer